The product to be used in all rounds of the ICSC role-play competition will be XenDeskTop by Citrix
What is a virtual desktop?
- A virtual desktop is an individual user’s interface in a virtualized environment. The virtualized desktop is stored on a remote server rather than locally.
Desktop virtualization software separates the physical machine from the software and presents an isolated operating system for users. Desktop virtualization tools include XenApp and XenDeskTop by Citrix, Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware Workstation and Parallels Desktop for Mac.
The benefits of desktop virtualization include:
- Cost savings because resources can be shared and allocated on an as-needed basis.
- More efficient use of resources and energy.
- Improved data integrity because backup is centralized.
- Centralized administration.
- Fewer compatibility issues.
Knowledge workers who use mostly business software applications are good candidates for desktop virtualization. The model is not generally viable for users with high resource demands.
Information about the product
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdB6L2TL-FQ What is Citrix? This video is a high-level overview of what Citrix offers for application delivery.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtwkV6M-h8YWhy Customers Choose Citrix over the competition?
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyhUCzs7rc XenDesktop Real World Use Cases
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR46ABXlfiY University of Florida Education use case
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgGHsji-lE What is Citrix XenDesktop
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1o6_83gUFoAccess XenDesktop apps and desktops from the Citrix Cloud.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOEsQIQvVsBasics of Citrix Cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQDAMCzkhHc The Difference Between VDI and Terminal Server
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK1ZseX2Co What is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)